The Friends started the “first shop” which was a stall at the back of the Cathedral which had to be set up and dismantled each day. Money was raised by the Friends to pay for the purpose built shop we have today. In addition, the Friends also ran the Refectory until both Shop and Refectory were taken over by Truro Cathedral Ltd.
The Friends have always worked comfortably alongside but separate from the Chapter who make their requests to Council who will then consider them.
The Cathedral Union was formed in March 1889 and this became the Friends of Truro Cathedral in 1932 and has been supporting our beautiful Cathedral ever since.